Assistant Roaster Position
As the Assistant Roaster, you will work closely with the Head Roaster to ensure the execution of our high standards of roast consistency, flavor development, and packaging. This includes production roasting, quality control, roaster maintenance, inventory, communication and teamwork. This position will be trained by and report to the Head Roaster.
Roasting – Oversee daily roasting activities; ensure quality and consistency of roast profiles. Sample roast green coffee samples and document green coffee information. Lead high-volume roast days with quality standards, cleanliness, efficiency, safety, and teamwork at the forefront.
Quality Control – Participate in production cuppings; document results and discuss feedback with the Head Roaster.
Maintenance – Conduct routine cleanings and maintenance of roasting and production equipment; establish a thorough working knowledge of all systems in use; maintain a tidy work area, including the roasting, packing and lab area.
Packaging – Ensure all orders get packed and ready for delivery in an efficient and cleanly manner.
Inventory – Help maintain inventory logs for green coffee and production items.
Communication – Maintain a high standard of professionalism and communication with the production team. Ability to give and receive feedback when needed, provide positive support for the production team.
Teamwork – Contribute to the team with a positive outlook and by showing the production team kindness, knowledge, and excitement.
– Full Time: Monday – Friday (40 hours per week)
Compensation: $17/hr w/milestone based raises during first year
Other perks: Free coffee, monthly gift card, paid-time off beyond State requirements, unique on-the-job coffee and leadership development opportunities, and company-sponsored health insurance for full-time employees.
Qualifications and requirements:
- HS Graduate or equivalent; Strong learner
- Good organizational skills, problem solving ability, and intuitive resourcefulness
- Strong initiative, leadership skills, and ability to self- manage, while remaining open to constructive feedback
- Ability to prioritize and manage workflow to meet deadlines
- Ability to perform repetitive, range of motion activities
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to maneuver 150 lbs multiple times a day
- Desire and willingness to continually expand coffee and roasting knowledge
- Develop sensory evaluation and cupping score sheet skills
- Interest and dedication toward ongoing skill development
- Strong attention to detail and analytical ability