Sumatra Gayo Honey

If you loved the Sumatra Gayo Natural, we think you’ll really enjoy the Sumatra Gayo Honey too! This coffee went through an anaerobic honey process, which resulted in a more refined and nuanced flavor.  It is fun and exciting to try coffees from the same producers, just processed differently! Develop and expand your pallet by tasting how processing can affect the taste and flavor profile of a coffee!

See below for more information, along with brewing recommendations.

Roast Level:

Out of stock

This product is currently out of stock and unavailable.

SKU: N/A Category:


This coffee was grown in the Jagong Jeget sub-district of Central Aceh, in the Aceh province of Sumatra. The area is home to nearly 9,500 people, of which approximately 70% come from Java while the remaining 30% is comprised of people of various ethnic groups, including Gayo, Aceh, and Malay. Almost 90% of people living in Jagong Jeget earn income through agricultural work, particularly Arabica production, which flourishes here due to the region’s rich black humus soil and elevation of 1400–1600 meters above sea level.

This coffee underwent Anaerobic Honey processing. Freshly harvested cherries are washed to remove any debris left over from the harvest before being sealed into airtight containers. The cherries are fermented in this anaerobic environment for 72 hours before being rinsed with water and pulped with a mechanical depulper; the depulper is calibrated to leave a specific amount of mucilage on the coffee for the drying process. The pulped coffee is then dried to a humidity of 12–13% before being milled, sorted, and packaged for export.

Farm details:

Producer:   Smallholder Producers

Region:        Aceh

Country:      Sumatra

Process:      Anaerobic Honey

Varietal:      Catimor, Timtim, Bourbon, Ateng Super, P-88

Flavor profile:

Taste: Black Cherry, Orange, Cacao Nib

Acidity: Medium, Structured

Sweetness: Medium Plus, Balanced

Body: High, Big, Juicy

Recommended Brewing Methods:

Fellow Stagg [X]

22g in, 350g out

2:10 – 2:30 minutes

205 f temperature

Medium/coarse grind


0-30 seconds

50 gram pour, pick up brewer and swirl 3 times

Second pour

30-50 seconds

Pour from 50 grams to 200 grams, starting at 30 seconds and ending your pour at 50 seconds (7.5 gram per second, pour rate)

Let fully drain

Third pour

1:15 – 1:30

Pour from 200 grams to 350 grams, starting at 1:15-1:30 and ending your pour at 1:35-1:50 (7.5 gram per second, pour rate)

Let drain completely

Final time

Drain should end around 2:10-2:30 minutes or brew to taste

Recommended Espresso Recipe:

Classic 9 bar recipe

20g in, 60g out (22 gram basket)

24-26 seconds

200 f temperature

Espresso grind

Additional information

Weight 1.1 lbs
Dimensions 9 × 6 × 2 in
Package Size

12 oz, 5 lb

Whole Bean / Ground

Whole Bean, Fine Grind – Espresso, Medium Grind – Pour Over / Auto Drip, Coarse Grind – French Press / Cold Brew

Roast Date

Ship to me immediately, Wait till next roast date